Exchanging a driving licence from EU & EEE countries (EEE: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway).
- to have your place of residence in Spain
- not to be below the age set by the Spanish legislation
This is a voluntary procedure* and can be requested at any provincial traffic department.
You may be required to exchange your driving license:
- after two years of normal residence, if you have a driving license valid for life (actually at the offices they told me that one should exchange the license after 6 months of living in Spain)
- if you commit a traffic offense in Spain
Read more here.
- APPLICATION FORM: official form available at the Jefaturas de Tráfico (Provincial Traffic Departments) and on DGT’s website which includes a declaration stating that the holder has not been disqualified from driving by law, that the person does not hold any other driving licence issued within the EU or EEA of the same category as the one requested or that has been restricted, suspended or revoked and duly completed TALÓN FOTO available at Traffic Departments.
- FEE II.3: 27.70 €. Three methods of payment: online, by bank card at Traffic Departments and by direct debit from a bank account or in cash at financial institutions (Model Form 791 available at Traffic Departments and on dgt.es
- PROOF OF IDENTITY AND RESIDENCE: − Valid National Identity Document or NIE or passport and any other document requested by the Traffic Headquarters where the exchange application is processed.
- COMMUNITY DRIVING LICENCE: valid original license and a photocopy
- PHOTOGRAPH: an original 32 x 26 mm photograph in colour and taken against a plain background, facing forward without anything covering the head, without sunglasses or tinted glasses or any other item which may prevent or make the identification of the person problematic. Veils may be acceptable in photographs of applicants who, for religious purposes, wear a head covering that obscures their hair, with the only limitation that their full face must be visible from the hairline to the bottom of the chin so as not to prevent or make the identification of the person problematic.
SPECIAL CASES – REPRESENTATIVE: If the holder of the driving license does not present the documents, their representative must present their official ID card and the authorization of the interested person to be able to complete the procedure, specifying that it is free of charge.
If you move to another EU country and the validity of your EU driving licence expires, you will have to renew your licence in the country where you are normally resident (the place where you usually or regularly live. Should live there for at least 185 days in each calendar year because of personal or work-related ties.)
If your driving license has been suspended, restricted, withdrawn or canceled in the EU country which issued it, you will not be able to have it renewed.
YOU HAVE TO GIVE THEM BACK YOUR NATIONAL DRIVING LICENSE
- Your original driving license will be taken away from you and sent back to your country. From the moment you apply for a Spanish one, you become a tourist in your own country when you drive.
- It may take up to 3 weeks for them to send you to your home address the new license. Meanwhile, you´ll get an A4 page document stating you can drive in Spain.
For more information in Spanish read here.